How Can an Old Heating System be Dangerous?

How Can an Old Heating System be Dangerous?

Now that winter is upon us, it’s heating season in Lewisville TX. You may not realize it, but an old heating system, or one that hasn’t been properly maintained, can be dangerous to you and your family. Before you snap on the heat, read on, to find out how an old, poorly maintained heating system can be dangerous.

Carbon Monoxide

Perhaps the biggest danger of an old or poorly maintained heating system is the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that’s produced by improperly burned fuel, such as wood or propane. If you have an electric heater, carbon monoxide is not an issue.

A poorly ventilated furnace could cause a dangerous level of carbon monoxide to accumulate inside your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be an insidious killer while you or your children are sleeping. It can also cause irreversible brain damage. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are a dull headache, confusion, weakness, shortness of breath, blurred vision, dizziness, and nausea or vomiting.

A flickering or yellow furnace flame could be a sign that your furnace is pumping out carbon monoxide. Your furnace flame should be a steady blue; if it’s not, you need HVAC service right away.

Fire Risk

Over the years, the fail safe devices built into a furnace to prevent a fire can fail. Moreover, very old heating systems may not have safety features at all. Upgrading to a more modern furnace may be necessary, if your furnace’s safety features are degraded or nonexistent.

Gas Leaks

Over the years, a propane or natural gas heating system can develop gas leaks. Oil furnaces can develop leaks as well, and oil leaks not only present a fire risk, but can also damage the floor and walls of your home.

Sensors can detect a gas leak, but sensors are prone to failure, and must be replaced periodically.

Toxic Mold

An old HVAC system can easily foster the growth of mold, which can result in allergic reactions. Mold needs a warm, humid environment to grow, and unfortunately, mold growth inside heating ducts is a common problem.

Symptoms of mold exposure include a runny or stuffy nose, itchy eyes, a dry cough, and other allergy symptoms. Mold exposure can also worsen COPD or asthma.

If you suspect there is mold growing in your heating ducts, a professional duct cleaning could be necessary.

Before heating season in Lewisville TX even begins, a complete HVAC inspection can find any problems in your old heating system before they become a danger.

Contact us today!